Govenment regulations

I see no hypocrisy in your accepting one form of technology, but rejecting another which you feel is detrimental to your lifestyle. I use a Trakfone, old flip phone style, and do not have or want one of the modern ones that is basically a handheld computer. I don’t know how to text or take pictures, I only use the phone so I can call someone if I am on the road, otherwise I use a landline. And don’t bother calling me on my cell phone if I am home, call the landline. I don’t see accepting the cell phone technology of a flip phone and rejecting the latest hand held computer phones as hypocritical at all.

Self drivers don’t bother me because I believe the technology will be so good that they will be much safer on the road than human controlled vehicles. They won’t drive drunk, under the influence of drugs or alcohol, when angry or tired, and the sensors are always working not daydreaming.

Plus, I do not believe that because self drivers are available means that I will no longer be allowed to drive.

I know of two elderly couples who should not be allowed on the road. The children of one of them gave them a large SUV so they won’t get hurt in an accident. As they told me, “we win”. No one “wins” in an accident, and this SUV might give them some protection, but think of the damage it would do to someone they hit. This thinking is just wrong, if the children were responsible they would take away their parents keys and driver’s permits. But that would take freedom from their parents and make them dependent on others. A self driving car would solve this problem.

Perhaps your dislike of self drivers is rooted in the fact that most of us when younger get our first real freedom when we get our driver’s permit. Driving represents maturity and independence. There are going to be more and more elderly who want to maintain the independence but do not have the mental acuity or reflexes to be on the road, self drivers will allow them to maintain that independence.

If I felt that the government was going to require me to use a self driver when I have the ability to drive myself, I would be against them.

What I decry is the overall lack of common sense required to get along and I feel that the governments involvment with the automobile is a good example. Something as simple as shifting gears is no longer understood by most of today’s youth. Cars have so much automation you rally can’t workon them or alter them. And any idiot can drive one. The world is going to hell in a handbasket I tell you. of couse they might say that I am just a cranky old codger who doesn’t have enough sense to take a picture with his flip phone let alone send it to someone!