I should get my dad's '24 Fordor back on the road

I’ve ordered a Model T tire iron, so that should help in mounting the new tires when I get around to ordering them.
Now I have to find dad’s spark plug wrench and get some oil in those cylinders.

The original Ford tire irons are very short. I ended up buying a pair of 18 inch long tire spoons, they provide much more leverage. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tip!
I am curious about rim flaps.
Do they automatically need to be replaced with the tires, or does it depend on their condition?

If you have flaps or rim strips, you can re-use them, along with your existing tubes. I use lots of baby powder to help keep the tubes and flaps from chafing inside the new tires.

That’s good to know!
A friend just brought over a 17.5" tire iron. and a huge double ended tire iron (27" on one end, 7" on the other end) to help with the project.

Ford never used a flap in any tire. They just add a part that makes the wheel heavier. I’ve never used one. Tires wear down to the point where they are bald, then I replace them. I have only had one flat tire that was not caused by the tread wearing completely through to the tube.

I’m confused,
What is the point of flaps?
If Ford didn’t use them, were they an aftermarket thing?

Right, an invention of the aftermarket. I don’t see the point of using them so I haven’t. They add weight and expense with zero benefits.

That makes sense. Thanks!

I just finished reading : Time to Re-Tire : Model T Fords and Clincher tires
in the Repair and Maintenance of the Model T Ford category (what a blessing that category is!) and I have to admit to being a bit apprehensive about cutting the valve stems off my new tire tubes.
Admittedly I’m still at the stage of vacuuming out mouse poop and squashing black widows and haven’t ordered tires yet.
I’m just trying to be prepared for what’s down the road.
As I see it, at least I ordered tubes with rubber tire stems and didn’t spend extra for the ones with metal stems.
On the other hand—jeepers—taking a razor blade to new inner tubes?
Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

That’s what you need to do to keep from opening the holes in your rims to fit the “modern” rubber stems which are too big in diameter to fit through the original ferrules in wooden wheels. If you read the article carefully I am using original valve stems with original dust caps. There’s no other way I know of to use them.

Thanks! I’ll have to see if the valve stems on my flat tires look original.
I want to keep her as original as possible.

Next on my shopping list after tires is a battery.
Since a 6 volt battery was the original, that’s what I should get
but will a 6 volt work with an electric starter?

Sure, that’s what a T used originally if it had a starter. You can get a Size 1 6V battery at most places that sell batteries. It will be a bit small for the T battery carrier. Lots of us use some 2X4’s nailed together to make a spacer so the battery cables clear the top of the carrier.

If a T had no battery typcally the owner would install a 9V telephone battery which were common back then.

I found a Duralast Group1, 6 volt at Autozone which I’ll probably go with.
My dad had installed some indoor outdoor carpet which is coming apart, so I’ll pull that out this week end and work on the battery box.
I just made some corn holes so I’m out of 2x4s but I have plenty of 2x6s left over from another project. Maybe that’ll suffice.

Sure some scraps of 2X6 would work too, since the thickness is the same. You just want to make something that lifts the battery about 1 1/2" and won’t fall out.

More fun with dad’s old T

What is an Engine Pan?
I found two pieces of heavy stamped sheet metal among a pile of spares.
I found pictures of them in the MAC model T parts catalog, which identifies them as Engine Pans. Engine Pans?

Base Part Number 54607
Alt # 64-54607
MAC’s Legacy # T3084/854

I’ve yet to see anything like them in the other on line parts catalogs.
These don’t look anything like the oil pan that’s on my engine.
Is this an original part? What does it do? Are they important?
Thanks for any clue.

They keep dirt and water off the engine. They were more important when roads were dirt, less so nowdays. They catch stray tools and parts pretty well though.

Thanks!
From what I can see, it would be quite a chore to reinstall these with the steering column needing to go through a hole. I think I’ll put this on hold until engine work is required.

The LH side is slotted so no need to remove anything to install it.
Engine splash pans