Ruckstell shifting

I have been working on getting Sambuca my 1917 Model T Ford Canopy Express Delivery ready for the Dunbarton Old Home Day Parade and celebration on Saturday, August 19th, 2017. I adjusted the brakes, because the last time I had Sambuca out for a drive I had a very hard time stopping that mighty steed. On this test drive, I could not shift out of low and I am wondering if it just a linkage adjustment or something else that is causing the problem.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts,

Warren
20170817_160113 - Copy.jpg
20170817_160122 - Copy.jpg

Take a look at the linkage. The Rocky Mountain brake equalizer lives in the same neighborhood as the shifter on your car. Could be something interfering. Also make sure the Ruckstell has plenty of 90W gear oil.

Auto Inn, thank you for your help

Happy motoring,

Warren

I just started shifting a Ruckstell yesterday. This is on a speedster with a 3-1 rear. I start in Ruckstell (meaning the underdrive is engaged) and Ford low. Then I shift to Ford high. Then I shift the Ruckstell to standard. (Is standard the correct term for a Ruckstell in 1-1 ?)

When I shift the Ruckstell into standard I hold the clutch for about two seconds while cutting the throttle, then cram the shift lever forward hard, then release the clutch back into Ford high and start giving her throttle again. Is that correct technique?

When approaching a traffic light where I have to slow or stop and the Ruckstell is in standard I hold the clutch for two seconds, rev the engine, and pull back hard and fast on the shifter to go into Ruckstell, then release the clutch and ease back the throttle. Is that correct technique?

Thanks…

Tom, what your doing sounds about correct to me. Maybe other members with more experience will offer a better description.

Happy motoring,

Warren

It sounds to me like you are using your Ruckstell more than you need to.

And you may be correct, I am learning. The rear is 3:1. Should it start off on the flat in Ford low and the Ruckstell in standard? It really bogs the engine down when I start out like that.

I run a 3/1 Ruck. also. sounds like you are doing it right to me. I’d look at all the linkage, if you have the original setup in the center I’d check to see if shifter is mounted tightly and then all the joints for accessive looseness. My car has the shifter moved next to emergency brake, it’s mounted with U-Bolts with jamb nuts, it loosens and needs to be checked every now and then.
George n Lake Ozark, Missourah

I got mine from a guy in Colorado and I think he said it was a 4/1. Must be because of all those mountains out there.

Happy motoring,

Warren

I just finished some more test driving and it looks to me like how your Ruckstell works depends on the gear ration of the rear. It is difficult to start mine out in Ford low when the Ruckstell is in standard 1:1. It often stalls trying that.

So I start in Ruckstell and Ford low up to about 15 mph, then Ruckstell and Ford high up to about 30 mph, then Ruckstell standard 1:1 and Ford high up to 55 mph. I have not had her over 55 although she has it, but she seems to prefer 45. We don’t have serious long hills around here, but one which slows most T’s down to Ford low I hit at 45 and she never slowed.

Thank you for all of your input, I am trying to learn proper technique from the git-go

Tom, you must be running one fantastic speedster. You must be careful I hear tell that if you travel over 35 mph the wind can suck the air out of your lungs and you will pass-out.

Now, on a serious note: what is the gear ratio you are using. I have what I believe to be 4/10 in my Ruckstell.

Happy motoring,

Warren

The rear end is 3:1. I thought all Ruckstells had the same ratio underdrive and were 1:1 in standard. I have had her to 55 on GPS, she still has more available, but I am just getting to know her and I am not yet comfortable at that speed. I am getting some balance beads for the tires, then we will see what top end is…

Tom, that’s the spirit, keep on practicing and driving your Model T!!!

Happy motoring,

Warren