1913 Canadian Model T

I wanted to start a discussion topic on this subject because I only have a limited amount of hard information and need more if anyone can supply period photos or comments.

1913 was the first model year where Ford actually began casting engine blocks and cylinder heads in Canada. The engine blocks were cast using molds made in Highland Park. The molds were the same as those used for USA cast engines except that the “Made in USA” script plate was left off the mlds when they were cast from the masters. The attached photo shows a 1914 block, which for all intents and purposes is identical to what Ford of Canada would have made in 1913. Engines were painted black with a thin varnish like paint on the iron and steel pieces. The engine serial number, which is the car number, was on the LH side of the engine, just as it was in the USA.

Engine serial numbers would have started with the letter C1 for cars built after May 20, 1913 which is a very late date in the 1913 model year. Prior to that date the Canadian production used blocks that were cast in the United States, we believe that entire engines may have been built at Highland Park and shipped to Canada during this period from say June 1912 - May 1913. These “early 1913” Model T engines would have serial numbers from around 150,000 (casting date around September 1912) to perhaps 260,000 by June 1913. There were also some “B” prefix serial numbered blocks cast between October and December 1912. Numbers on those blocks all fall within the 1913 model year, and would be from approximately B1 to B12250.
14 engine date.jpg
14 engine casting.jpg

The 1913 Canadian Model T had a single twist horn. Unlike the USA built Fords the Canadian T’s had fully polished brass lamps and horn throughout 1913 and 1914. Lamps were copies of the USA built E&J products built by the Canadian supplier Classco.

Since both doors open on the 1913 - 14 Model T’s the horn bulb was always mounted to the steering column. Both RH drive and LH drive cars were built due to varying needs of different parts of the Commonwealth being supplied by Canada in order to achieve favorable tax status.

Here are some photos of my 1913 Canadian touring:

front driver.JPG

rear passenger.JPG
IMG_4738.JPG
TTPM9206.JPG

rear driver.JPG

More pics
IMG_4514.jpg
IMG_4546.jpg

More pics

IMG_4826.JPG

IMG_4518.jpg

Royce,

Re: “Canadian T’s had fully polished brass lamps and horn throughout 1913 and 1914”

You have posted two photos of a CLASCO tail lamp above but it appears to be Black & Brass. I could be wrong about your photo but do you have any other photos of all brass CLASCO lamps?

We discussed the Canadian lamps on another site a couple of months ago and were not able to find any photographs, or examples, of all brass CLASCO gas headlamps or side/tail lamps. Phil Mino has some very nice photos of the CLASCO lamps but said he has not seen any all brass examples either. Just Black and Brass. Except for the bonnet and cap the bodies are a dupe of the E&J!

Also, if CLASCO are only Black & Brass, it does seem peculiar E&J would be shipping all brass lamps to Canada rather than making them two blocks from the Canadian Ford plant and saving the import taxes. Especially, when E&J would only be making Black & Brass for Ford U.S. cars.

E&J owned CLASCO and shared Directors. The E&J plant in Detroit was on Buchanan Street while the Canadian plant CLASCO was just across the Detroit River at 2744 Edna, Windsor, Ontario. The two plants are only about three miles apart as the crow flies for the reasons you have said, import taxes. The original CLASCO building from 1912 is still there and is only a couple of long blocks from the Ford Motor Company of Canada plant.

Thank you for bringing up the topic.

CLASCO factory at 2744 Edna
CanadianLamp CLASCO PLANT 2.jpg

1914 Canadian T with the same Classco lamp. The one in the first thread is all brass, just corroded to the point it is black all over.
Dick Pugue May 2016.JPG

Thank you for the confirmation regarding the CLASCO “All Brass” lamps. I indicated having heard that before on another forum when someone asked about it six or eight months ago and no one else responded. I don’t have any CLASCO lamps so I wasn’t sure.
However, I couldn’t find a single photo or example when it came up again in the last month or so.

Another interesting aspect to CLASCO is they put the Ford logo on the oil lamp set.
Does make one wonder why was CLASCO making Black & Brass and All Brass for Ford Canada at the same time?
A friend of mine here in Houston has some CLASCO Black & Brass oil lamps on a U.S. '14 touring. Anything can happen I guess.

If someone has some closeups of the CLASCO All Brass gas head lamp and oil lamps you don’t mind sharing, please post.