gas headlight line

Originally Ford used 1/4" brass tubing. You can make one from 1/4" steel tubing with brazed joints. Or order brass tubing - it’s more expensive than steel.

You do not want to use copper tubing because it is unsafe with carbide gas.

What metal line do I use for the headlights to carbide tank on my 1911 Touring? Thanks, Art

Would that be 1/4" OD or ID? Thanks, Art

OD

Thank you. Ir occured to me last night that I have the fittings Kim Dobbins sent to me months ago and I could just measure them. I think T have the Covid brain fog. Art

Another question: Should the rubber lines to the headlights and carbide generator be red or white and where can it be purchased? Thanks, Art

I got mine from Langs. It’s red, the clamps are brass sheet.

Royce, I know that the vendors offer brass hose clamps, but did Ford originally use them? I have heard that the cars originally did not come with clamps for the red aceytlyene hoses.

It’s a great question. I don’t have any of the 1910 - 1914 Ford parts catalogs. I suspect if there were clamps the catalogs would show them. I know there should not be a clamp at the carbide generator connection as the instruction sheet says to disconnect it there to kill the flames in the headlamps.

Here is a production line photograph of 1914’s, (long rear cross member yellow circle).
Acetylene hose with clamp (in red circle) for driver side headlamp.
The radiators coming down from upper supply area show clamps on each side of radiator
cross over pipe headlamp hoses if you look carefully.

Great photo, thanks! Is there a higher resolution version that can be blown up for an even closer look?

It’s the best I have. Royce most likely has better.

The hose for the 44" Rear Gas Line doesn’t appear to be on the radiator
crossover pipe so it’s probably already installed inside the frame with
the single clamp. It would be hard to poke through/under the engine mount.

Better resolution or another angle might show it though.

I think you have circled the rubber gas line that connects to the headlamp. The original photo is at the Benson Ford Archives of the Henry Ford Museum. It’s an 8 1/2" X 10" glass negative so lots of detail. Those are 1914 Fords so the cross over in the front is part of the radiator assembly. The print of the radiator exists too. I don’t have a copy.

They didn’t use clamps. The Vintage Brassworks used to sell the red hose, but they aren’t interested in making any more. Too bad. I haven’t tried Langs.
Knowing Don as well as I do, I can’t imagine him carrying anything that doesn’t work!

I’ve made two of them from brass tubing. You need a double flaring set to do the ends.

Larry what part would be flared?

I have made several. They are fun to make, but as the post above says, don’t use copper. You may have to buy a modern brass tee, and machine it down to look like an original, which is pretty plain, and straightforward. Keith Townsend did that.