Every once in awhile I have an idea that actually works.
One thing that I find annoying is tools that become magnetized for one reason or another.
Screwdrivers, Pliers, Drill Bits, etc. …
I wanted a simple CHEAP demagnetizer.
All I needed was a magnetic core, a coil and an AC voltage.
Here is what I came up with.
I used a motor from a fan.
The one I actually used is from an old microwave oven.
The one in the pictures is from an bathroom exhaust fan but is identical.
I simply removed the rotor assembly and the core copper (optional).
I hooked up a momentary pushbutton switch and a pilot light (optional) and a power cord.
I used a polarized cord and put the pushbutton switch in the hot side.
I mounted it into a plastic box and that was it.
IT WORKS GREAT.
It seems to work best if you rub the item across the top of the core.
I have demagnetized screwdrivers, pliers, drill bits in a matter of seconds.
I even completely demagnetized a flywheel magnet.
It is small enough to be handheld so you can bring the demagnetizer to the object.
Words of caution :
Use a momentary pushbutton switch only.
Make sure the motor you use is rated for the same voltage you plug the device into.
Make sure all electrical connections are solid and safe for the operator.