Philip Schambach's Bakery

Pictured is Philip Schambach’s Bakery with their pie wagon Model T. The business was located at 13th and Banklick Streets in my hometown of Covington, Kentucky

In the May 27, 1914 edition of The Weekly Northwestern Miller periodical mention is made that Mr. Schambach has resigned his position with The Domestic Science Baking Company of Cincinnati and will operate a bakery in Covington, KY.

The bakery was in business at least until the early 1950’s as evidenced by advertisements in the Kentucky editions of the Cincinnati Enquirer.

The other photo was taken today. In the original picture the building wasn’t new and in the 100 plus years since the first photograph was snapped it’s had its share of modifications, but it’s obviously the same building.

Covington was the home of Hemingray Glass Company from 1848 to well
into the 20th century. By the Model T era, they were the largest producer
of glass electrical insulators in the U.S., if not the world, Although insulator
production moved to Muncie, Indiana by 1901, the company maintained offices
and buildings down by the river.

Some Covington-made glass
124.2's.jpg
Neat to see your before-and-after shots of Covington. Love this kind of stuff !

Burger, , thanks for the input. Like a lot of folks I have a few Hemingray insulators though nothing to warm the cockles of the heart of a serious collector. So I was aware of Hemingray, but hadn’t a clue they were ever a player in Covington’s early economy.

Did a bit or research on Hemingray’s presence in Covington and in a nutshell it doesn’t appear that it was that important or long-term. I may be being unduly unkind here and perhaps more research on my part will reveal a larger impact.

The factory and perhaps offices were at 2nd and Madison, just off the Banks of the Ohio River, and EVERYTHING from the day is long gone - urban renewal don’t you know?

Somebody like Bob Stahr (Chicago) or Glenn Drummond (Central AL-GA line)
could tell you more than you ever wanted to know about Hemingray and/or
Covington history. I remember Bob telling me that Hemingray was producing
50,000+ fruit jars a day in Covington in the 1870’s, on top of insulator production.
They also made a lot of lamps and tableware, kerosene jugs …

The discovery of natural gas, given away free to lure business, in Muncie, Indiana
was cause for the company to build a second factory there in 1888. Insulators
were made at both plants for a while, but ultimately all gravitated to Muncie. An
experimental restart of production at Covington was tried in 1901, but deemed
too costly after a short period. The insulators made were No.9 and No.12 styles
and are distinctive for often being bubbly. Most glass produced during the run was
a striking blue, but at times ran way green, even to a deep olive color. A search
along the banks of the Ohio, downstream from the plant will turn up lots of shards
of glass, often this bubbly stuff.

More early Hemingray glass. This group shows the evolution of the No.4 style from
1871 to 1885-ish. The No.8 in the upper eight was introduced in 1886 and was the
first insulator to wear the Hemingray name spelled out. Earlier product wore their
DEC 19 1871 Patent date or the initials H.G.CO.
124.1-2-3.jpg
A smattering of No.9’s randomly on the shelves. The bubbly blue one is a good
example of the stuff made during the 1901 restart at Covington.