Preserving unused RTV

What are some tricks you all have devised to keep unused RTV from drying up inside the tube once it’s been opened?

I have tried several of my own, but short of using the whole tube at one time, I’ve not had much luck.

Thanks kindly, Tom in Taylor Mill, KY 41015

The problem is that when exposed to oxygen RTV dries. It usually dries about 1/2" into the opening of the tube when you install the cap on the tube. That makes getting the remaining good RTV out difficult.

If you use the long tip instead of the cap the RTV dries inside the long tip. When you are ready to use it next time take the long skinny tip off. The dried RTV will stay attached to the RTV tube, giving you a nice long handle to pull the dried RTV out of the end of the tube.

I know that this is a very old post/question. FWIW, I have had good success in wrapping the end of the tube with the stretchy food wrap plastic film we all have in our kitchens.

Hello Mark. Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I misplaced your email; it’s a computer super-power of mine.

I have tried Royce’s suggestion with some success. I will use yours in conjunction with his. Using them together might be the ultimate solution.

Thanks for taking the time to email me. These forums are great.

Tom in Taylor Mill, KY 41015