Some interesting old photos

A lot of these are in my files that are neat but not necessarily all Model T. Enjoy and if you have some like this let’s see them!

A few more from my miscellaneous files.

1905 unk s.jpg

A few more to look at…

And another batch …

A wreck that happened around 1948 in front of our house on Beach Blvd, Huntington Beach, CA.

One of several Model T’s on our farm in Westminster, CA from 1952 to 1961. The '26 coupe belonged to my grandfather, purchased new by my dad in Huntington Beach, CA at the Ford Dealership for $620. Also on the farm were two Model TT trucks, both '25’s, and a '27 Tudor Sedan, plus a 1930 Model A Coupe. These cars were a teenager’s dream back in those days.

These are great. Thanks for sharing. I never get tired of
looking at old photos like these. :+1:

The Antonito, COlorado photo is taken looking south on Main Street
from about 4th Avenue. The Palace Hotel still stands (and looks pretty
good), but not a lot of the old buildings remain. About 4 blocks south,
one can board a train and ride the 64 miles over Cumbres Pass to Chama,
New Mexico.
121022-454.jpg

Dave H,

What is causing all the dust behind the '35 Ford sedan? I hope they fixed that car. It doesn’t look totaled to me.

Also in the other photo the '59 Ford Galaxie looks just like the one my parents bought new that year. Ours was a 223 6 cylinder with three on the tree. The only option was two tone paint, it was cream over gold, with gold interior. No power steering, no AC, and no radio.

Royce,

There is more going on than just a lot of dust there ! You can see the billowing
right through the pole, like it is made of glass !

I bought a nice original 59 Galaxie for my ex to drive. She loved Fords. This
one was turquoise and white, equipped with a 312 (352 ?) “Police Interceptor”
and a Ford slush-o-matic , PS, PB, and a few other things. Not too plush, but
not a stripper either. The PI engine wouldn’t intercept a herd of galloping
turtles ! I fussed with that car for a week, tweaking the brakes and tuning/re-
tuning the engine. It was amazingly sluggish and the brakes not much improved
since Model T days. I was afraid to let her drive it, so I called a hardcore Ford
fan over and tossed him the keys. Told him to take it out for a test drive and
beat it like a rented mule. He came back about 30 minutes later really excited
about how well it went, and asked me to tune all his cars ! I was disgusted.
Somewhere between 1959 and whenever the 406/427 cars came along, Ford
decided to offer some real “go-n-slow” engines and brakes. This one sure had
a lot of curb charm, but was sure disappointing in the “performance” end of
things. We traded that car to a guy for a nice 66 Galaxie convertible. With a
390, 4-speed, and disc brakes, that beast went like a striped ape and stopped
“right now” when you needed it.

Royce,

That old Ford sedan was driven head-on into that telephone pole along the side of Beach Blvd. in Huntington Beach, CA. My mom was an avid photog of sorts and she took this photo, but as you can tell, it is a double exposure,ie clouds thru the telephone pole. Too bad she didn’t live to see what Photo Shop could do, she wouldda loved it.

It doesn’t look like too much damage to the old Ford, but am pretty sure it had a hefty front crossmember at the bottom of the radiator that took the brunt of impact. Can you imagine how a present-day Honda or Toyota would look after busting a pole of that diameter? As I remember, the driver got hurt pretty bad and not sure he lived too long afterwards. No belts, no bags, etc. I was nine years old then, just getting interested in my dad’s abandoned Model T’s, when this occured in 1948.

My brother bought this "32 or "33 Ford truck at age 12, free to drive it all over our 200-acres of leased property in Westminster, CA. He removed the bed lying in the background by unbolting it, tying it to an euclyptus tree, putting it in low-gear and flooring the throttle. Here is granddad’s '26 T more or less abandoned in 1954 because of a rod knock. Today, it would have been so easy to fix. It probably had less than 2000-miles since rebore and re-babbitt by Santa Ana Motors and I never thot it really had a rod knock, but Granddad thot it did.

Gotta add one more photo my mom took in 1948 after a crop duster hit the top of the pole in my Grand dad’s front yard. At least it has an old WWII fire truck in the picture! The pilot, dusting across the street, coming towards the camera failed to clear the tallest pole with his gear, cartwheeled down onto the lower pole as the one wing came off, lying unseen behind the fence. The pilot got out of the burning wreck, climbed down the rungs of the pole, and went to the door to apologize for making such a mess. I was so impressed, and this is the honest truth, that same pilot finished dusting that same field, two weeks later in the same aircraft, same engine. I think I learned some “can-do” spirit at an early age here.

Dave