The 1914 Model T Ford

The article is here:
https://modeltfordfix.com/the-1914-model-t-ford/

Please use the Reply button below to comment.

Another wonderful article! Thank you.

The photo showing the carbide generator being referred to as a Jno. Brown, is actually a Victor.
The inside photos of the firewall are priceless, showing the brass plated hex nuts. Another thing a few restorers have gotten wrong is they have placed the front quarter panel upholstery under the top body to firewall support. The two photos in the article above clearly show the upholstery goes over the support brackets. I913 is the same.

Thanks for the great article Royce! I’ve owned my 1914 for over 30 years and it’s always been my favorite T. Most of what you covered, I knew from Miller’s and McCalley’s books in years past, but there were a couple new things and it was time for a “refresher” course anyway. And that deal about the horn being black . . . it was polished brass when I got the car, I knew better but I never corrected it. The car is in the shop now and tomorrow it’s finally going to get restored the way Henry sold it . . . black with brass trim!

My car is a late 1914 and has “billed” front fenders which the previous owner stated were original to the car. Do you have any idea when they made the switch from the straight front to the billed? The previous owner was the second owner of the car and he purchased it in 1950 from the original owners.

By the way, how is YOUR book coming along?

Roger,

The billed front fenders came around in early June 1914 just prior to the 1915 Model year.

I think the next to the last photo above is very important to the restorer, in addition to another posted earlier showing the brass plated steel nuts. The windshield to firewall retainer bolts, not hinge bolts, and nuts were also brass plated. The nuts are 19/32" which is not a common size today. They still make the wrenches however. Randall Anderson makes these nuts out of solid brass. They are also used on the 1913 and possibly earlier wood coil boxes to hold them to the firewall.