Transmission and Clutch Adjustments

I recently bought a 27 Model T. It appears to be slipping in low gear. Some of it could be me. Is there a starting point. Example. Turn the adjustment all the way in then turn it counter-clockwise 9 full turns. I also read something about removing cotter pins first. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The clutch pedal needs to be adjusted so the Low gear position catches just barely above the floor board. Any tighter than that is going to quickly wear out the band. You adjust it by loosening the external lock nut, then tightening the center stud until the pedal adjustment is just above the floor mat when the pedal is stomped hard. You will have to experiment to achieve this, there’s no such thing as what you ask.

It’s important for a new T driver to learn to not “slip” the bands much when starting out. Any slippage results in rapid wear. You will learn quickly that changing the bands is a lengthy job that you won’t like. A controlled “stomp” of the pedal is the best. Braking is nearly non existent in a T, the brakes were made to stop the car with the aid of deep mud and low speeds.

I would like to pose a question about the clutch. I recently replaced my tired band linings with kevlar. I have followed service manual instructions and read other posters tips and tricks for adjustments. Did not touched anything for the clutch pack. Car drives fine. The question is, what have I missed that I have a considerably smaller window for “neutral” than before? To the point if I have to sit at a traffic light I’ll pull the parking brake handle back to do this for me as I have stalled the car try to keep it in the correct position. Thank you in advance to all those who can help me correct this.

How high above he floor board is your low pedal when you have it fully depressed? Perhaps your low band is adjusted too tight, or the band is slightly out of round due to the stress of installation.

I run my low band as loose as I can get away with without letting it slip when depressed and without letting the low speed link go “over center”.

Typically the low pedal will stick down if adjusted too loose. You need to adjust the pedal just enough that it does not stick. Generally it will be about 1" above the floorboard when it is correct. Pedals can be bent so the measurement is only true for pedals in good condition.

I’d have to say that my low peddle is where your stating. That’s what got me baffled. Doesn’t go over center, band was installed with the hogs head off. Was easy to do and quite sure it’s not out of round. If were to loosen low, I think that it would slip. When the car is up to temp after driving a distance, the low peddle is almost on the floor. If I pull the low peddle back as far as it will go and set up the linkage as per the instructions in what you posted, and that I followed at installation, high will slip, and I had to put my foot under the peddle and lift to stop it from slipping. Appreciate the suggestions.

The “high gear” is activated in a T when the brake lever is all the way forward and the low pedal is released. There is no actual high gear, the direct drive is achieved by releasing the clutch. If you need to apply pressure under the pedal it means perhaps the brake lever is touching the floorboard cutout, or the clutch link is not long enough.

Here is a link (pun intended) on making a longer low speed link. :slight_smile:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/478111.html?1410348928

1 Like

Hello all. Sorry for such a time lag. Life has gotten in the way. After careful consideration, I think that my small “neutral” window my be just due to the new linings on the bands. As I have said, the car is drivable, it may be a new learning curve to get things in place after driving the car for the past 13 years as it was. New linings just may have shrunk things a little. Thanks for all the suggestions.