The Fords built in Canada

Top straps are finished and installed.
The leather straps are held from slipping on the top iron with a footman loop.
The centre portion of the top strap is a leather wrapped braided cable.

The '12 is nearing completion. The generator needs restoration yet.
The rear door handles have been put vertical after these pictures were taken.
I have on order the brass dust covers for rubber stem inner tubes.

Out of interest, this '12 still has it’s original pistons and it runs cool. I have a period motometer for the car and
the only way we could get it to register was to put some cardboard on the rad face.

Question: Has anyone seen this style of top strap on another 1912 before?

I have provided proof of this being the correct strap on a prior post.
It is the same style on a 1912 T Henry Ford is seen sitting in.

The carbide generator is restored. It required the most attention over any of the car’s brass.
It was the original to the car and I often questioned why the clamps were turned opposite to most applications but apparently rubber was expensive so the shortest run of hose was used. With Canadian cars the generator was centred over the ‘Ford’ script on the running board since the driver’s door opened.

Here is what appears to be a very original American 1912. Apparently with US production the generators were turned 90 degrees to the norm at times also. I grabbed this picture from the internet…perhaps some of you know this car!?!

Lovely work.

Thanks for the complement!

Here is another Canadian '12 built for export that ended up in New Zealand. It raises questions in my mind.
Was it delivered in a different color than the dark blue? If it was repainted would they have bothered to pin
stripe it fully? The picture is not reversed because the speedometer cable location never changed from the
right side. The small brass clip to keep the horn hose from the door hitting it is clearly visible, although I think
the front of the door would hit it. Perhaps that’s why they mounted the tool box where they did.

Great question. Logically I believe it would make more sense that the car was painted and pin striped in New Zealand prior to sale. Importing a Ford from Canada to NZ was an expensive proposition. Local labor would have been relatively cheap by comparison.

A few more questions about the New Zealand car:

Does it look like the wood firewall was painted?

What is happening just above the splash apron each side of the tool box lid?
The color is different from the body.

What kind of bird is on the lady’s hat? (this answer isn’t as important)

Yes I noticed the firewall and it made me believe the work was carried out after the car left the factory because the factory would have left the wooden dash board in varnished state. The splash aprons are unlike the USA kind, perhaps a Canadian variation or an Aussie or NZ one. The tool box appears to be yet another color.

Here’s a picture of my splash shields in primer if they give any clue to what’s happening with the New Zealand car.

Another Canadian built T that exported to New Zealand.

These two are part of a rally called the ‘1912 Motor Pioneers Journey.’
I only included it for restoration details for those of you interested.

I don’t know what year of T it is and I know nothing about the rally.
That must have been one big lunch the two packed in their wicker
pic a nic basket on the running board. Yogi would be drooling!

This car is a Canadian only model that was sold in model years 1912 - 1913. Judging by the fenders I would say it is an earlier one. The body style is called an Open Roadster or commercial roadster. I suspect the wicker basket on the running board was for general storage of things, not necessarily food. Very interesting car as it seems to have jump seats for two additional passengers added to the rear deck.

Folks I don’t know if this will work or not but hopefully I’m directing you to a Flickr photostream. Mixed in amongst the pictures are pictures of a blue bodied ‘highly accessorized’ Canadian 1912 touring. (the pictures are not all together) You will have to scroll up to see the bulk of the 1912’s pictures. Clicking on the individual pictures will blow them up and then they can be magnified even more.
If you return to the photostream again then you can click on another individual picture.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/unclegal/with/7333008722/

The link worked for me, great pics, thanks! :slight_smile:

It’s very interesting. The crank holder, shocks and bumper are accessories that are new to me. Very complex shocks!

Did they miss adding many accessories to that Canadian '12?? I don’t think so…lol.

I even noticed they have some kind of igniters in the headlamps. I noticed too they had
to notch the the body at the back for the bumper arms.

Originally I was going to add a front bumper to my T but I opted out. It was going to make
it too hard for me to crank the car. I bought a bumper years ago at Hershey that I was going
to have adapted to my car. Having done research I found out it’s for a 1909 Rambler. Does
anyone need a bumper for their 1909 Rambler??

Note: there are 7 pictures total of the highly accessorized Canadian '12 on Flickr.

Nice photos of the '12 on Flickr!

Note on a couple of the gadgets…

The igniters are “Colt Friction Igniters” made to ignite home/business gas lights.
I have some and put one on my touring.
Don’t recommend them because you should open the auto headlight door when lighting anyway.
Otherwise, missed “flick” or two, a late spark will blow the door open!
Been there done that… :astonished:

The dash clock is an eight-day by the New Haven Clock Company. I have one just like it on the same car and it keeps great time.

Great pictures of your touring!

You blew the headlight door open?!?

Thanks for the ignitor information!

You are so lucky to have a dash clock that runs accurate. Like I said before, mine is an eight day,
it’s accurate for the first day only, and then accurate twice a day after that.

Here’s another New Zealand car…possibly a taxi of the time as the small sign above the door says, ‘KENNEDY Bros.’.
Now I live in a city and even today I would love to be picked up in this vehicle to be chauffeured to the airport
(in good weather and in the daytime) over an Uber or taxi.

Another exported T. Again note the clip holding the horn hose in place. As the printing
at the bottom suggest it’s the first car in Walpeup…and who among us hasn’t been there.

Walpeup…small town in Australia.