Model T Ford Accessory Carburetors

Agreed, Jay posts good stuff, pictures and info.

As far as carburetors, I have found them to be like oil weight, alternator or generator, 12V or 6V, factory lights or turn signals … lots of differing opinions!

I got thrown off another forum for my opinions on carbs, but I think I am safe from that here, although many will disagree with my opinion.

The Holly NH is fine for puttering around on slow roads when you don’t care about performance, until they have a problem, usually not the carb itself but trash. A good cleaning of the tank, settlement bulb, and carb will usually get it back to working. Rebuilding a Holly NH is said to be easy, and I was told on that other forum that if I couldn’t rebuild a Holly NH I should not own a T! I know several people who own, love, and brag about their T’s who don’t know what a carburetor is or what it does. There are also people who rebuild NH’s for a living, so some people must be getting it done who have a T and don’t know how to rebuild a NH. The last I checked Lang’s had a three month wait for a rebuilt NH, and it comes with a Grose jet!

Jets can be a problem. The Grose jet has a ball and that thing will lock closed for no reason. No trash, trash would keep it open. No, it locks closed, or at least mine did. So get the replacement brass needle like the originals had! Yeah, expect it is poorly machined and leaks. You have to lap it in with toothpaste, then clean everything up, then set it by hitting it with a wooden mallet. Yup, that’s what the pros say. From what I can tell, Langs no longer sells them. Or, you can get the viton tip needle, I have heard they wear fast, but I have never had one. Lots of people swear and complain about NH carbs, and I think all the aftermarket ones were popular because of problems with the NH’s. And I suspect that the main problem with the NH’s was trash in the fuel line. then of course people complain about ethanol gas when they have a carburetor problem, but that is a whole 'nother line of reasoning.

I have found two carbs I like, and neither is an NH. One is a Stromberg OF. I consider it to be smoother and more powerful than the Holly NH, just my opinion. The other is the Stromberg 81 which requires a special manifold to go on a T. I have one on my speedster. It is the best carb, in my opinion, if you have a high compression head and reground cam.

If I had a car which was just for parades and sitting in the garage I wouldn’t hesitate to go with a Holly NH, just keep the trash out.

I have an extra Stromberg 81 which I would like to install on an engine I am putting together, but I need an intake manifold to put it on a T. Does anyone know if these are readily available, or are they all custom made?

D&B HARRINGTON CARBURETOR
D&B Harrington Carburetor 5.jpg
D&B Harrington Carburetor 4.jpg
D&B Harrington Carburetor 3.jpg

D&B Harrington Carburetor 2.jpg
D&B Harrington Carburetor 1.jpg

ATLAS CARBURETOR

atlas 3.jpg

So many carburetors! I guess Ford’s introduction of the vaporizer shows that the NH had some shortcomings. The best I have found is the Stromberg OF. Is there a better carburetor designed for a Model T?

That D&B carburetor Jay has three photos of above is one that I rebuilt and sold at Chickasha a few years ago. Those carburetors are very common for a reason - they run great!

Does a D&B Harrington carburetor run better than a Holley NH? No, it runs about the same. I think that in the Model T days lots of carburetors might have been sold just because, as now, folks don’t try and fix what they have, because they don’t realize how easy it is.

HARRY MILLER MASTER CARBURETOR
Harry Miller Master Carb 2.jpg
Harry Miller Master Carb 1.jpg
Harry Miller Master Carb 4.jpg
Harry Miller Master Carb 3.jpg

DUPLEX CARBURETOR

duplex 3.jpg

SIMMONS VAPORIZER
Simmons Vaporizer 1.jpg

HOLLY VAPORIZER
holly vaporizer 2.jpg
holly vaporizer 1.jpg

GARDENER CARBURETOR

SIMMONS CARBURETOR

simmons 4.jpg

simmons 6.jpg
simmons 5.jpg

ASKE ELECTRIC FUEMIZER INTAKE MANIFOLD

Wheeler-Schebler FA Carburetor
Wheeler-Schebler FA.jpg

POWER CARBURETOR
power carb.jpg

Wonderful stuff Jay! Thank you. Wayne Sheldon

SOLEX CARBURETOR Made In Germany.
Solex -- made in Germany.jpg

MARVEL CARBURETOR

How many carburetors do you have? Enjoying your pictures.